Pages

8/11/2010

Eggplant Gratin (منزلة او مسقعة باذنجان)


Ramadan mubarak everyone! I know that some of you have already Iftar, so may Allah accept your fasting and worship on the first day. It's still mid day here and we still have about 7 hours till Iftar. And by the way, I'm fasting today (so far), YAY! Inshallah I will be able to finish the day :)

Yesterday I cooked eggplant gratin. This dish is one of my favorite. You can cook it by itself or as a second dish when you have some people for lunch/dinner (or Iftar). Here is the recipe I used.


You will need:

2 big eggplants (about 1.5 pounds), unpeeled and cut in slices
1/2 pound lean ground beef
1 small onion, chopped  
3 big tomatoes, cut in cubes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup of water
1 cup mozzarella cheese
oil for frying
1/2 teaspoon all spices
salt

Directions:

  • Heat the oil in a big frying pan and then fry the eggplants until they are evenly browned on both sides and cooked through. Transfer the cooked eggplant slices to paper towels to drain.
  • In another frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil and then add chopped onions and fry until they are gold. Add ground meat and cook until well browned. Add tomatoes, water, and tomato paste and cover the pan over a medium heat until the tomatoes are cooked. And then add spices and salt and stir well.
  • Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
  • Arrange half of the eggplants in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  • Spread the meat sauce over the eggplants, and then arrange the second half of the eggplant over the sauce.
  • Spread the mozzarella cheese on the top until it covers the whole pan.
  • Bake it for 20-30 minutes uncovered in the oven.
  • Serve with pita bread or rice.

10 comments:

  1. This dish looks yummy!
    Ramadan Mubarak :) Inshallah you'll be able to fast as many days as possible. I know it's too hard for you so Allah yi3eenik :)
    I'm not fasting here, eating nonstop and it's been a while since last time I spent Ramadan in the states. It doesn't feel right over here, I don't know why. I loved it the first time I lived it here when I was able to go to tarawee7 every single night...but it's kinda impossible with kids now.
    Anyways, Inshallah ta3atkom maqbooleh, and happy anniversary ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ramadan Mubarak dear and inshaAllah it will be a great one
    كل عام و انت بالف خير و صحة وعافية
    وان شاءالله يتقبل منا و منكم
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually don't eat eggplant, I only eat it in eggplant gratin :) and yes it is yummy :D

    Sa77a w hana...w rabna ye3enek 3ala al syam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nido,

    Ramadan Mubarak to you and to your sweet family dear! El7amdellah, I was able to fast yesterday, it was not easy though! I'm not fasting today because I don't think I can do it. I will try to fast as many days as I can, inshallah.

    So you used to spend Ramadan in Jordan every year. That's really nice! Nothing like spending Ramadan with the family. How is Selma doing? When are you going to Amman?
    Wish you all the best. Don't forget me in your Dua' in this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wafa',

    Thanks habibti! Ramadan Mubarak to you too. May Allah swt shower you and your loved ones with his blessings in the holy month.
    Love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whisper,

    Thanks dear! I''m glad you liked the dish.
    Allah ye2bal menna o menkum :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, sadfat the last couple of years akoon bi 3amman during ramadan :) It tastes real over there, this year I am supposed to be there now but Selma arrived late and now I'm waiting for her passport to arrive so I could take her & go there, inshallah soon !
    Selma is growing beautifuly il hamdillah :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dish looks so yummy. We love eggplant, I should give it a try. Ramadan kareem and happy anniversary :) I know how much it's hard to fast while pregnant and this Ramadan is really hard on every one. When I was pregnant I was unable to fast too, I didn't make them up yet but InshaAllah I should fast few days every year until I'm done. Allah ma3ake w y2aweeki :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Salam Ohoud,

    I was about to write on your wall when I saw your comment. I just wanted to check on you and say Ramadan mubarak.
    Thanks for the sweet wishes. I hope everything is going well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How come i have never stumbled upon your cooking blog before? Nice job! ( or maybe i have and i just do not remember?? Old age you know)
    el mnazzaleh as far as i know it is eggplants cooked in a pot, on the stove top. you could cook it with meat and broth or add tomato sauce after sauteing with onions. the eggplants are not fried at all, they are just lightly browned in very little oil.
    I hope i do not sound like "Miss know it all" but this is what i call mnazzaleh. have a great day/night.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name. Thanks for commenting :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...