Pages

5/20/2010

Apple tart

Today I'm posting a recipe for the apple tart I baked last Saturday. I wanted to post this recipe few days ago but I was just not in the mood. I have been feeling up and down recently! Mood swing is not fun at all.

Back to the tart, it was really yummy! The sweet pastry crust gives the crust a rich cookie like flavor
. You can by the way use this crust to make any fruit dessert.

For the pastry crust:
3 cups purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter
2 large egg, lightly beaten

For the apple filling:
5 big apples
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Powder Sugar for browning the top of the tart.

Directions:
The pastry crust:
Note: I usually do this part one day before and refrigerate the pre-baked tart in the fridge.
  • Mix flour and salt and set aside.
  • Beat the butter with your mixer until softened. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
  • Gradually add the beaten egg, and beat until incorporated.
  • Add the flour mixture all at once and mix just until it forms a dough (you can use your hands to form it).
  • Cover the dough with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 20 minutes or until firm.
  • On a floured surface, roll out the sweet pastry to the tart pan size (12 in).
  • Lay in pan, lightly press pastry into bottom and up sides of pan.
  • Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes to chill the butter and to rest.
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and place rack in center of oven. Line unbaked pastry shell with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Fill tart pan with beans, making sure the beans are distributed over the entire surface.
  • Bake crust for 20 to 25 minutes until crust is dry and lightly golden brown.
  • Remove beans and cool crust before filling.
The apple filling:
  • Peel, core, and slice the apples.
  • In a large skillet melt the butter and stir in the sugar, and the cinnamon.
  • Add the apples and saute over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until the apples are soft.
  • Gently mash the apples with the spoon and stir the mixture until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and let cool.
  • Spoon the applesauce mixture into the cooled pre-baked tart shell.
  • Cover the edges of tart with foil and bake it a preheated 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until the apples are nicely browned and soft.
  • Remove from oven and sprinkle the tart with confectioners' sugar, and broil it under a preheated broiler until the edges of the apples are golden brown and crisp.
  • Serve the tart warm or at room temperature with softly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.


5 comments:

  1. i think i should ban your blog :( , are you trying to get me fatter, lool.
    very very delicious . thanks dear for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will delete all the recipes, just don't pan my blog :) I just enjoy cooking and baking, and I love to try new recipes and share them with people who are interested!
    How have you been? Hope all is well :)
    TC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Wonderful recipes! Congratulations, your blog is amazing.
    I am a writer from Brazil, visit my Blog too.
    Kisses,
    Denise Bomfim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise,

    Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you liked my blog. I'll be happy to read for you but the problem that I don't speak Portuguese :)
    I hope you come back!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name. Thanks for commenting :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...