Pages

4/26/2010

Chunky potato soup


I have been lately craving for Atlanta Bread Company's chunky potato soup. The last time I ate this soup was about two years ago when I was still in AR. We don't have any Atlanta Bread Company restaurants here in our area, and most of the other restaurants cook this soup with bacon, so I thought about making it myself! I looked online for the recipe, and then made my own recipe from four different sources in attempt to conjure my potato soup. My ingredients were as follows:

3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoon heavy cream mixed with 1 cup of water
1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
1/2 tablespoon all purpose flour
salt and ground black pepper
1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 pinch of cumin
1 pinch of chili powder
Sliced green onion

Directions:
  • In saucepan, combine the potatoes, onion, and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Then lightly mash.
  • Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, add olive oil or butter, stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in cream. Bring to a boil. Stir into potato mixture. Cook and stir until thickened. Add salt and pepper, and some sliced onions. Remove from the heat, and stir in cheese until melted.
  • Serve the soup garnished with cumin, chili powder, and sliced green onion.
Enjoy it :)

2 comments:

  1. Although it doesn't look like much, this is currently #2 on my soup list, after your ground Lentil soup of course... excellent soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sa7tein my blog favorite reader and my cooking biggest fan :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name. Thanks for commenting :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...